Friday, January 2, 2009

A preliminary personal curriculum for '09

I have reason to believe that 9 is one of my lucky numbers, along with 11 and 46. In any case, I hope to maintain a voracious, yet well-rounded reading diet this year of the ox.

A preliminary list of things I'm finishing and have yet to begin but hope to soon:

2666 by Roberto Bolano: nearing completion! And then I must write that review and read something much, much, much more light-hearted. Which I probably won't do.

St. Genet by Jean-Paul Sartre
American Tabloid by James Ellroy
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
Invitation To A Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov
Ada, Or Ardor by Vladmir Nabokov
Our Lady Of The Flowers by Jean Genet
The Predicament Of Culture by James Clifford
Steps To An Ecology Of Mind by Gregory Bateson
About Writing, The Motion of Light In Water, The Jewel-Hinged Jaw, etc, etc. by Samuel R. Delany
Various short stories by Flannery O'Connor, Paul Bowles, Jhumpha Lahiri, Grace Paley, Julio Cortazar, Stephen Millhauser.
The following by Cornelius Castoriadis:
World In Fragments
Philosophy, Politics, Autonomy
The Imaginary Institution of Society

And many, many more I probably won't get to till next year, or the year after that.

All of that, right this minute, as I'm still in the throes of fatigue and dislocation from the saturnalia of the holidays, seems mighty ambitious.





No comments:

Post a Comment